Friday, May 7, 2010

Speaking of Naked People...

Today, a treat. This story comes from a REAL doctor. She's a friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist (did I spell that right?) in California. Here's her story...

"10,000 years ago in 1978, I was a MS3 ready for my 1st clinical rotation. I was actually going to be able to assess patients alone with all that amazing knowledge that I had been cramming into my poor brain. Well I could assess the patients but of course I would have to then synthesize the info into a rational description for the resident. Nevertheless I was so excited and scared. Well I was until receiving my assignment - yes the worst in my school - on the locked psychiatry ward at the VA Hospital.

But I was brave and fearless, or so I thought. So Monday morning dawned and I arrived at the locked doors ready to CURE DISEASE. Well at least to get through the day. The ward clerk buzzed me in. (Have you gotten the idea yet that this would be a MEMORABLE day?) I had my clean white coat, my little black bag and arrogance enough to believe that all that information I had recently crammed into my brain would be enough. My 1st day, my 1st patient. Woo hoo. So I walk past all these locked doors with small shatter-proof glass windows (think jail). The head nurse gives me my assignment: it was a new patient admitted during the night.Smiling, he said he would take me to the patient and let me interview the patient. Like an idiot I thanked him and walked right into the room. There I was, white coat and all, staring at a totally naked 6'2" man in a room with a bed bolted to the floor in the center of the room. My 1st patient was looking at me like he had just been given a treat. Then ensued the race of my life. Mr Sanderson (the patient) chased me around and around the bed. Each time I passed the door, I would yell, "Help!" This went on for at least 2 years - no about 10 minutes. The nurse opened the door and let me out. There I was, disheveled and panicked, facing 6 people who were laughing so hard they were crying. It was a total set-up. I was no longer an innocent. In my mind everything else would be an improvement."

No comments:

Post a Comment