Friday, January 14, 2011

Apples to Apples

Med students are notoriously good at procrastinating. Whether it's tv, internet, or even just staring off into space (which I find myself doing more and more in the library), somehow, we find a way to avoid studying. Every now and again, though, we find ways to procrastinate that are actually somewhat productive. Usually, these brilliant ideas revolve around food.

Now, it's a well-known fact that my mother supplies me with enough food to feed a medium-sized army, and sometimes I get overwhelmed by the tupperware temple in my fridge. Although there's not much to do with a whole bunch of Indian food, the five apples that my mother thought I could eat in two days offered us a world of possibilities. And so, one cold, snowy night, my friends and I decided to forego Lilly's Pathophysiology of Heart Disease, and study the intricacies of apple crisp instead.

I got the recipe for Pumpkin Apple Crisp from my new favorite food blog (everybodylikessandwiches.com), but seeing as we were lacking pumpkin and none of us were willing to brave the cold to go get some, we just modified the recipe a little bit to substitute more yogurt instead. And, in true we-are-future-doctors-shouldn't-we-eat-healthy? fashion, we substituted the flour for oatmeal.

Oh, and, don't be afraid to be heavy handed with the cinnamon. It will fill a room (and the hallway, and the stairwell) with warm, wintry goodness!



1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of you having a tupperware temple to your mother's Indian food in your fridge :)

    ReplyDelete